Thursday, June 22, 2006

Installing Apache Webserver on Windows XP

Well this is a sort of an admmission post. My pals down here in Malawi and all those I have met from across the global all agree on one thing that installing Apache Webserver on a Win XP box is an easy feat. But for me it tuned out to be the opposite.

Courtesy of the apache foundation I got the latest release installed and I was asked for a passwd whenever I tried to access it on my machine. Well the cardinal rules of a techie are if you think you followed the instructions and it aint doing its job then 1 - reboot and 2nd re-install. But these didnt help me I contacted some geeks I know Soyapi but to know avail he just could not understand someone would hv troubles installing this Apache Webserver.

But lastly I called another buddy Hasha Dube A.K.A "The One and Only" he just told me to disable the IIS service function in the Win XP. Damn after that it worked so fine.

At the end of the day I was like Linux is hell lot simpler

VIVA ICTAM !!!!!!!!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mr Reasonable said...

Hi there Mangaliso!
Not sure if you know it but Lilongwe is now in High Res on Google Earth. Jezz, things have changed in the 20 years since I lived there but I did manage to find my old house in Areas 12. Picture here:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=173165399&size=l

There sure are a lot more houses in Lil' ole Lilongwe!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Mangaliso Jere said...

Well i didnt know that Lilongwe is on Google Earth. The picture is on a high altitude so much so that I cant really see much. But am still studying the fotoz so that I can really take the foto of the front gate for u

1:03 PM  
Blogger Mr Reasonable said...

The high resolution images only appeared about a week ago, at the same time as the high res images of Wellington, here in New Zealand. From the google image, there is clearly a wall around the property now and the poor old place looks a bit battered but at least it it still standing!

I read in your blog that you are a techi; anything I can do for you from here in terms of hardware/software/cables that you need? Happy to oblige.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Mangaliso Jere said...

My bro
Can you pas me your e-address mine is manga [at] sdnp.org.mw.

I am basically a help desk guy. Would welcome anything techie which u could send over. Networking, A+ ,linux or better still lists of techie forums which could link me up with a wider techie society

11:18 AM  
Blogger Mr Reasonable said...

I've g-mailed you!

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home